Sunday 26 April 2009

Nags & The 'Respectable' Older Generation

I know that one day, I am going to discover how to make my fortune, but I'm buggered if I know how! Yesterday I discovered another way that it won't happen: betting.

I've spent this weekend on my little cousin Laura's hen do. We went to the races which was just the perfect excuse to get dressed up, so out came dress number 1 from my dress bargain shopping spree (and we won't even mention how my little cousin looked so effortlessly stylish, that gene obviously skipped me!):

So, you can't go to the races without having a little flutter, so off I go to the tote and put on my first ever bet by myself (apparently, I was informed, in Yorkshire ladies can bet but can't go to the bookies as it's the man's domain, hence why my Grandad always put my bets on on National Day!).

So, would you like to see which horses I backed? First of all there was this one:
And this one:

Yup, I backed the biggest bunch of nags going! I went from picking out names I liked, to studying the form, to phoning my 7-year-old and asking her to pick a number between 1 and 7; the best I managed was 5th place. Grrr!

Mind you, it was better than poor Laura's donkey. We all clubbed together so she could go and put a load of money on a horse in the last race. Off she tripped and got one that would earn her £400 if it came home, with only 5 horses in the race this seemed like a good bet! Well, you need the blooming thing to start the race to stand a chance don't you?! It reared up, kicked, they had 6 grown men pushing it's backside into the gate, but the old nag was having none of it; so poor Laura didn't get to cheer it on and had to go and get her stake back.

However, she wasn't going to let that put a dampner on things and we all met up for a night out. Of course we had to do the obligatory to Laura:
Anyway, we had a lovely evening at a Tapas bar. I got to talk to Laura's family on her dad's side (our mothers are sisters) who I've never really had chance to speak to properly before, and a couple of nice glasses of Sauvignon Blanc and a belly full of food. Plus the ressurection of 'how to sneak off to the toilet' that seems to be a firm staple of mine and Laura's at hen do's!
However, I'm not too good at partying these days so I left them to it at 11.30 and headed back to the hotel with Laura's auntie. I didn't think it was going to be a too wild night, what with the respectable older generation going along to the club. Ahem! I had to tell my mother off for turning up at the hotel at 2.30am, then this morning I had a look at my camera (which my mum had in her bag) and found my Auntie Claire showing how she has earnt my utmost respect over the years:

Tut tut! And they talk about the youth of today eh?!

Right, off to get my thermals on and warm up a nice mug of Horlicks!

No comments: